Monday, February 20, 2012

Superdawg!

There is only one smartest dog in the world, and every boy has it. ~ Unknown

My dog is a superdawg.  It’s a complete miracle that he’s still alive. His name is Asa [A (as in “play”) – suh], but explaining his name and why I chose it will require its own separate post.  He has been the linebacker type since the day I met him at the Athens, GA pound.  Clay Matthews would be proud of his blonde hair, sneak attack from the outside, charming way with the ladies, and all.  He's now 13 ½ and still a force to be reckoned with.  Never had Cesar Milan-approved manners (I tried and failed), but a boisterous, social guy who used to welcome everyone at the door with 2 paws off the floor (don’t tell Cesar…). 

18 months ago, my Asa collapsed, and I thought we’d have to say goodbye.  After emergency surgery and 3 of the worst days of my life so far, he was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma.  All kinds of cancer are bad.  Hemangiosarcoma is an imminent death sentence for a pooch.  For some miracle reason, Asa is the superdog superdawg (spelling = nod to his UGA vet pals) who has busted the curve.  February 10th was his 18-month Asa-versary since his surgery, and YES, we had a party!

Superfriends made him a Superdawg cape
(more on Superfriends later)
I know slightly more than Jack crap from a medical perspective about his kind of cancer, why treatments aren't effective, and how they try to delay the inevitable… but I know LOTS about what it feels like as his mama to get such an abrupt diagnosis, how difficult the decisions are, how expensive the treatment options are, and how stressful it still is every month when we go back to UGA vet school for his oncology recheck.

I've made accidental new friends around the country whose dogs have also been diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma. Their comments and questions range from "what's your miracle cure?" to "don't you know that dogs can't survive without a spleen???" and everything in between. To the 1st extreme, I'm sad to say I don't know the miracle cure.  I’d hand it out like candy if I knew it!  We've been extremely blessed, and his vet oncologist and general practice vet both say he's the most successful case they've seen.  So I don't have magic answers, but I'm happy to share our experience and let you know what the ride has been like.  To the other extreme who think the vets have ripped me off because "dogs can't survive without spleens," all I know is that my boy has been doing just fine without his for 18 months.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's a life-ending surgery for some sweet pups, and my sympathies to those owners.  In Asa's case, it was do the emergency splenectomy to save his life… or put him to sleep right then and there, so I didn’t worry until later about the pros and cons of having a spleen.  More about that drama later though...

I'm writing this blog to share my experience.  Having a dog with cancer might sound like a silly problem until it’s YOUR dog.  I have been blessed with supportive families and friends and some amazing, caring vets, but it has been tough to find dog people who have been there and could openly talk about the experience and let me know what to expect.  Hopefully Asa and I can pay it forward by telling our experience.

1 comment: