Sunday, March 11, 2012

Hazmat gloves & poop bags


A dog owns nothing, yet is seldom dissatisfied. ~ Irish Proverb


My biggest fear about subjecting my dog to chemo treatment was the unknown side effects.  I heard that chemo doesn’t affect dogs the same way it affects humans, and I also heard that they don’t push dogs as far with chemo as they push humans.  Both proved to be true for us, and Superdawg Asa tolerated it quite well… with a few quirks:

It’s dangerous
As I previously mentioned, Asa has been taking maintenance chemo at home everyday since he finished his IV treatment in the fall of 2010.  It’s called cyclophosphamide (a type of metronomic chemotherapy), and I should have noticed that the vet oncologist’s slang term for it is “cyclotoxin.”  Yes, I am administering a hazardous substance at home on a daily basis.  A compounding pharmacy in North Carolina ships a supply of pills to my house each month, and they come with a month’s supply of those blue hazmat gloves.  The bottle and the accompanying literature warn me not to touch the pill without the gloves on, and they instruct me to dispose of the gloves immediately in a sealed plastic bag.

It stinks
Holy overwhelming, smelly dog poop!  Let’s be honest – it doesn’t smell like roses to begin with.  All dogs have stinky waste and toots, and it’s just part of their “charm.”  Well, throw a bunch of hazardous chemicals into your dog’s body, and it takes on an entirely new level of dizzying grossness.  I can’t begin to describe the smell, and I’m sure you don’t need a detailed description.  It’s just gross.

Leave no man behind
Confession:  One reason I bought a house as a single girl (instead of a cute condo or townhouse in the cool part of the city) was to get a big backyard where my dogs could run and play and poop freely.  No more leash walks just for doing “bizness,” no more picking up after them every single time, not for this girl!!

Life’s little way of putting you in your place:  Since chemo makes Superdawg’s poop toxic, guess who’s back to scooping and bagging?  In her own backyard no less!  My neighbors now think I’m weird, but they never ask.

Even more fun:  Stinky, toxic poop must be double-bagged and safely disposed of.

Under a microscope
All of the above add up to laughs and inconvenience.  The bigger challenge for me has been the emotional toll of the monthly oncology checkups.  When your dog is poked and prodded and sampled and examined so often, they find things.  Lots of things.  Even more so because Superdawg is well past the average life expectancy for a dog his size.

For example, he was diagnosed with a heart arrhythmia, and the wear and tear on his kidneys has been exacerbated by the NSAID he takes to complement the chemo.  On a good note, though, the heart problem is controlled by a small pill twice a day, and his kidney issues (which could have been helped by the kidney diet dog food they prescribed but he wouldn’t eat) have been mitigated by fish oil pills.  Yep, the same ones you take for your brain and heart and whatever other reasons.

I get way more information than I bargained for at these monthly checkups.  I honestly can’t decide if it’s good to know every little thing that goes wrong.  I focus on the issues that cause him discomfort or pain or could be fixed by a non-invasive intervention.  I’m not willing to subject him to another surgery or uncomfortable experience.

Tell me about your experience:
  1. How have you found humor or encouragement when dealing with your dog’s cancer?
  2. What side effects has your dog experienced?  How did you handle them?
  3. What are the monthly recheck appointments like for your dog?  For you?

No comments:

Post a Comment