Sunday, March 11, 2012

Update (Happy 19 months cancer-free, Superdawg!)


Asa and I went back to UGA on Thursday for his next restaging appointment.  We go monthly for a checkup and bloodwork (you don’t mess around with aggressively metastasizing cancers like this).  Then every 3 months is a biggie when they restage him.  X-rays and ultrasounds and other scary stuff, oh my!  It takes all day, and I take the day off work when I can because I turn into a cranky Katieball of stress.

Ultimately, the goals are to keep his cancer at bay and to keep him in good working condition… as long as he’s happy and pain free (and has no signs of metastasis).  Superdawg has been feeling good and acting playful for the past several weeks (which is odd for a super senior large dog), so I was confident on Thursday.  BUT I’m always still worried.  Any day could be THE day.

I’ll spare you more play-by-play of my self-absorbed stress and emotions and jump to the conclusion.  Lots of old age symptoms are creeping in, but no issues from his medicines and still no cancer!!!  His oncologist, Dr. R.R., even said we can cut back to restaging every 6 months now.  It feels like such a victory!

Then yesterday, March 10th, brought him to 19 months since his emergency and diagnosis.  I celebrate each and every monthly milestone by treating both my dogs to Frosty Paws doggie snacks and peanut butter.  Yummy!

Tell me about your experience:
  1. How do you and your vet(s) define success for your pet's situation?
  2. How do you celebrate your pet's milestones?

1 comment: